First glance I know the new Google Stream is way different in that by default it hosts files directly online and only if you indicate you want it offline does it sync down permanently so that is going in your favor in an RDS environment. What I am unsure on is if the profiles and the program can run multiple instances on one server using multiple profiles. I would assume it would as most programs are now sandboxed to each user in some fashion.
So what we need to do is test this and see so I would recommend you spin up a lab or take a snapshot / backup of the RDS server and afterhours / weekend install Google Stream and test it with a few users logged in at the same time. Revert the snapshot or restore the backup if it does not go well, Lab is better I think but if its all you got then test it afterhours.
This is what I found regarding log files for this new Google feature
Google Drive Stream is a desktop application, which allows users to quickly access all G Drive data without losing valuable drive space.It stores the data in the cloud instead of the computer, and all the done changes are automatically synced to the cloud in the presence of internet connectivity. It is just like OneDrive on Windows 8. Drive for desktop Access all of your Google Drive content directly from your Mac or PC, without using up disk space. Learn more Download Backup and Sync for Mac. Store, and access files.
Report back your findings as I expect many more to come will need to know what is up here...© tommaso79/Getty Images To sync files automatically, add the Google Drive app to your desktop. tommaso79/Getty Images
- You can add Google Drive to your desktop on a PC in addition to using it on a web browser.
- Adding the Google Drive app to your desktop will enable you to sync your documents and files from your computer to Google Drive.
Google Drive is popular for its free programs, ease of access, and compatibility with Gmail and other Google products.
You can download Google Drive to your PC desktop as well, enabling your computer to sync your files with Google Drive automatically.
Here's how to add Google Drive to your desktop using a PC.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Acer Chromebook 15 (From $179.99 at Walmart)
How to add Google Drive to your PC desktop
1. If you are logged in to your Google account on an internet browser, you must log out temporarily to install Google on your desktop.
2. Once you have logged out, go to drive.google.com and scroll down to the bottom of the webpage. Under the 'Downloads' column, click on 'Drive for Mac/PC.'© Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider In 'Downloads,' select 'Drive for Mac/PC.' Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider
3. A new tab will open. Next to the 'For Individuals' banner, click on 'Download.'© Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider In 'For Individuals,' select 'Download.' Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider
4. A pop-up window will appear. Click the 'Agree and Download' button.© Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider Select 'Agree and Download.' Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider
5. A program called 'installbackupandsync.exe' will begin downloading in your internet browser.© Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider 'Backup and Sync' will download. Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider
6. Click on the program, and it should begin installing once it has finished downloading.© Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider It will then install. Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider
7. Once the installation is complete, click 'Close' to exit the pop-up window.
8. Google Drive should now appear on your desktop. Look for a window called 'Welcome to Backup and Sync' and click on the 'Get Started' button.© Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider Click 'Get Started.' Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider
9. Type in your Gmail address, click 'Next,' and then type in your Gmail password. Click 'Next' when you are finished.
Install Google Drive File Stream
10. Set your laptop's preferences for upload quality and file size. When you are finished, click 'Next.'© Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider To sync files automatically, add the Google Drive app to your desktop. tommaso79/Getty Images
11. Set your Google Drive syncing preferences. You can sync the entirety of your computer to Google Drive, or select specific folders to sync. Once you are finished, click 'Start.'
Drive File Stream For Windows© Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider Choose which folders you'd like to sync. Chrissy Montelli/Business Insider
After Google Drive is downloaded to your desktop, you will also see shortcuts to Drive programs such as Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides.