Just look for the Google Drive File Stream entry in the list of applications. Personal Computer. To install Google Drive File Stream on your personal computer, visit and click on the download for Windows button. After the installer has downloaded to your computer's drive, launch it and follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing the Google Drive File Stream client. Google Drive for desktop version 47.0 will support Apple M1 devices As apparent from the above, Google Drive File Stream support for the new Apple M1 devices will be rolled out with the app’s version 47.0 update in April. For comparison, the latest version currently is v45.0. So why this long to support the new M1 devices? Note: Drive for Desktop was previously called Google File Stream and still is currently on Macs (changed 2-4-2021). Before using as a backup solution, please read the warning note at the bottom of the page. If already have Google Drive for Desktop installed but need to get to its settings, see below. Setting up Google Drive for Desktop.
File Sharing at Pepperdine
Google File Stream is a fast, easy way to access and share files from Google Drive on your local computer.
Download & Install
Access Drive Files on File Stream
Find & Save Files Offline
Learn About File Stream
Access Drive files on Mac/PC faster, using less disk space
Access all of your files (even Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud) stored in Drive directly from your Mac or PC, without using up all your disk space with Drive File Stream. Unlike traditional file sync tools, Drive File Stream doesn't require you to download your files first in order to access them from your computer. Instead, when you need to view or edit a file, it automatically streams from the cloud, on-demand. With Drive File Stream your team will spend less time waiting for files to sync, no time worrying about disk space, and more time being productive.
Get your files in seconds with smarter offline access
With Drive File Stream, files you open are streamed directly from the cloud on-demand. You can also select files or folders that you want to access offline at any time. The files that you are likely to work on from your Mac or PC become available in the background intelligently, making it much quicker to access them later.
Work with all the tools and apps you're used to
What Is Google File Drive Stream
With Drive File Stream, you can work with Drive files directly from the apps you're used to, like Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop. Any changes you make to files in those apps are saved automatically to Drive and can be accessed from any of your devices later.
Download & install Drive File Stream
Windows: Windows 7 and up. Windows Server editions are not supported.
Mac: El Capitan (10.11) and up. For High Sierra (10.13), follow these steps.
To download Drive File Stream:
- Sign-in to Google Drive web interface at drive.pepperdine.edu.
- Click the Gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen
- Select 'Get Drive for Desktop'
- Once downloaded, run the app and follow the on-screen instructions.
- When prompted, sign-in to your University Google account.
- Drive File Stream is now installed and running.
If you are currently running the Backup and Sync app, you may receive the following message:
If you are also using Backup and Sync, work with the Tech Central to ensure that both tools are running in parallel properly.
Access Google Drive files using Drive File Stream
You can find Drive File Stream Menu in a different place, depending on what computer you use:
- Windows: At the bottom right of your screen.
- Mac: At the top right of your screen.Windows
Find & keep files and folders offline
To save a file offline, make sure you have an app that can open your file.
- Click the Drive File Stream Menu .
- Click Open Google Drive folder .
- Right-click the file or folder you want to save offline.
- Click Drive File Stream Available offline.
- Once your file is saved offline, you'll see a green check mark next to it.
Dear readers! Let us discuss a frequent issue in the Google service – “Google Drive File Stream,” where users struggle with smooth file streaming. Read further to know the ways to resolve the problem and continue streaming.
Know More About Google Drive File Stream
Google Drive File Stream is a desktop application provided by Google Drive, which stores data online, to allow synchronization with the file system to access the data offline. The data can be modified too as per the requirements of the users, and update to Google Drive when you are online.
Issues with Google Drive File Stream
Most users who benefit from the Google Drive File Stream application also encounter different issues at some point in time. Here are some of the common issues.
Where Is My Google Drive App
- Poor or no synchronization (Sync) of files between Google Drive and System Drive
- Sync process got stuck and displaying “Preparing for sync” message for a long time
- Getting sync failure error message like “Authorization failure: No longer permitted to view the file.”
- Failure in file modification due to a claim that it is a web-based Google document and cannot be modified
- Sudden stoppage of file synchronization
Google File Drive Stream Download Windows 10
These issues cannot be ignored; for the continuous use of the File Stream application, one must work to fix these problems.
Get Kernel Google Drive Backup tool to backup Google Drive data and avoid any chance of losing your important data.
The Common Reasons for “Google Drive File Stream Not Working” Problem
The main reasons for this error are:
- Outdated, corrupted cached folder/files
- No storage space on the drive
- Blocking of features by the Firewall/Antivirus
- Poor Internet Connectivity
- Outdated operating system/File Stream application
- Interference of other Google Cloud Services
Methods to Fix “Google Drive File Stream Not Working” Problem
We have a few manual ways which can help you to resolve the problem related to “Google Drive File Stream Not Working.” You can try one after the other until your issue is fixed.
- Try Disabling Firewall and Anti-virus Programs:
Firewall and Anti-virus applications may block the Google Drive File Stream functionalities.
To check if this was the problem, just disable the installed Firewall and Anti-virus applications for some time, and check if the Google Drive file streaming resumes or not. If it does, the problem is solved. Keep it disabled until the streaming is completed.
- Try Checking and Modifying Network Connectivity to VPN
For proper file streaming, the network connection needs to be clear and strong.
So, try checking the current internet connection and its settings. As ISPs are suspected of blocking certain services of applications, it is suggested to shift the internet connection from ISPs to VPN permanently for Google Drive file streaming.
- Try Renaming the Google Drive File Stream Folder
The outdated or corrupted cache is a reason for the issue in Google Drive file streaming. So, it must be either deleted or renamed.
Here are the simple steps to rename the Google Drive File Stream Cached Folder.
- First, close the running Google Drive file stream application.
- Run Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Execute the following command.
- Now, look out for the folder and rename it with any name.
- Reboot the system once and start the Google Drive file stream application again.
- This time the streaming may work fine.
- Try Updating the File Stream Application
The updates from Google are meant to improve the security and fix any bugs in the previous versions. So, the user should update the Google Drive File Stream application to the latest version if not updated yet. Then try to perform the file streaming through the latest application version.
Note: Make sure the old version of the Google Drive File Stream application is uninstalled from the Control Panel and not available on the system anymore.
- Try updating the Operating System
Old operating system versions do not include the latest updates required for running the newly installed applications and drivers smoothly.
Get your Windows operating system updated with the latest available version (Windows 10) and then see the difference in the functioning of the Google Drive File Stream.
- Try disabling other Instances of Google Cloud Services
Try disabling Google Backup & Sync if it is running. To disable the running Google Backup & Sync application, users can run the Task Manager on their systems, select the program, and click on the End Process option to close the application securely. Then start Google Drive File Stream and check if the synchronization is going well or not.
- Try Saving Google Drive File Stream files Offline
To access and download the Google Drive file folder offline, follow these steps.
- Open the File Explorer window on your system.
- Move to the left panel and click on the Google Drive File Stream (G) drive to open it.
- Double-click on any Drive from the right panel to open it.
- Next, the folders or files will get retrieved from the selected Drive. Select one or multiple files/folders, right-click, and follow Drive File Stream>Available Offline.
- Proceed to download the selected files on your system.
- Try Uninstalling Chrome Remote Desktop
If you are running Chrome Remote Desktop, then you should uninstall it as it does not function well with the Google Drive File Stream application, affecting its synchronization.
Go to the Control Panel on your system, click on Programs and Features, select the Chrome Remote Desktop, and click on Uninstall option.
So, we have discussed multiple methods to fix the “Google Drive File Stream Not Working” issue.
We have an alternative way to backup Google Drive data to the system permanently in case users need it urgently and are unable to fix the issues with Google Drive File Stream using manual ways. The way we are mentioning here is the use of an advanced professional utility – the Kernel Google Drive Backup tool. It is the finest tool to backup Google Drive contents to the specified system drive location. It supports the backup of Gmail emails, contacts, calendar/appointments from the G Suite account as well. It also offers to backup Google Hangouts/Chats. Get a free trial of the software available on its website for a better understanding.
Software Working Video to Backup Google Drive Data
Google File Drive Stream Not Working