With the release of Citrix Workspace app 2012 for Mac, Citrix now supports Citrix Optimization for Microsoft Teams on MacOS.
- Jan 25, 2021 Being new, and on Apple Silicon, I expected a few compatibility issues with some of my older MacOS usuals. Microsoft Teams is not M1 optimized and runs under rosetta 2. Teams is a seperate download and install from the core Office 365 Applications which are M1 optimized (Excluding OneDrive).
- Mar 29, 2021 However, while the macOS looks set to get a performance boost, there’s still no word as to when the company plans to release an M1-optimised version of Microsoft Teams. Back in December.
- Microsoft Teams is the hub for team collaboration in Microsoft 365 that integrates the people, content, and tools your team needs to be more engaged and effective.
Teams is a seperate download and install from the core Office 365 Applications which are M1 optimized (Excluding OneDrive). I was having an issue with Teams after entering my Veeam Work Organisation credentials, and logging in. After first apparent successful login, Teams would get stuck on the Loading Microsoft Teams window as shown below.
Microsoft Teams is the fastest growing business app in Microsoft history, and Citrix was the first partner in the world to optimize the Microsoft Teams experience in a virtualized environment for Windows and Linux. Citrix is excited to announce that we are bringing their full optimization to Mac with the release of Citrix Workspace app 2012 for Mac! Together, Citrix with Microsoft Teams accelerates team collaboration and personal productivity across all business activity.
With this Citrix Workspace app release, your teams now get a native Microsoft Teams app experience on their virtual apps and desktops for audio calls, video calls, and screensharing. Among several immediate benefits, both admins and users will be able to enjoy:
- Crystal clear voice and video up to 720p
- Enhanced server scalability that is accomplished by offloading CPU/RAM/GPU/IO onto the user’s device rather than the Virtual Delivery Agent (VDA). That means more users per server and lower operating costs.
- The ability to leverage existing Citrix security policies within virtual instances of Microsoft Teams
Please note, this optimization is supported on Microsoft Teams on macOS version 10.15 (Catalina) and above.
Microsoft Teams Mac Os Download
What’s New with Microsoft Teams on MacOS and Citrix?
Update Ms Teams Mac
With Citrix ´s continuous innovation, they focus on improving both user and admin experience. This chart compares the optimizations they have made for you today with the capabilities they previously had in place.
Please note, CTXMTOP is a command-and-control virtual channel. That means media is not exchanged between the Citrix Workspace app and the VDA.
Ms Teams Macos Update
There are a few known limitations with Microsoft Teams running on VDI on Mac compared to the native Microsoft Teams application. This includes the absence of the gallery view. While Skype for Business can coexist with Microsoft Teams, they cannot run at the same time. Microsoft has an extensive deployment guide for this. Additionally, to preserve VDA resources on the workspace app, Citrix have disabled background effects on Microsoft Teams. Check out their documentation for more information.
The Citrix optimization for Microsoft Teams on MacOS,contains VDA-side HDX services and API to interface with the Microsoft Teams hosted app to receive commands. These components open a control virtual channel (CTXMTOP) to the Citrix Workspace app-side media engine. The endpoint decodes and renders the multimedia locally. Reverse seamless snaps-in the local Citrix Workspace app window back into the hosted Microsoft Teams app.
Minimum version – Citrix Workspace app 2012 for Mac:
Supported operating systems
Mac Os Versions
- macOS Catalina (10.15)
- macOS Big Sur Beta 8 in test environments only. Do not use in production environments.
- Screen sharing optimization (incoming and outgoing)
Mirosoft Teams on MacOS optimization works by default if the user has Citrix Workspace app 2012 or later and macOS 10.15.
If you want to disable Microsoft Teams on MacOS optimization, run this command in terminal and restart Workspace app:
defaults write com.citrix.receiver.nomas mtopEnabled -bool NO
Learn more here about Microsoft Teams on MacOS optimization by Citrix.